Seth and Sutton Sharp
April 4, 2019
On this date in 1982, the CRC Chemicals Rebel 500 was held at Darlington.
- Dale Earnhardt won the race after holding off a late charge from Cale Yarborough at the line. He led 181 of 367 laps.
- Bill Elliott finished third, followed by Benny Parsons and Tim Richmond.
- Broadcasting legend Al Michaels called the race from the booth. He was 37 years old at the time.
- It was Earnhardt’s first Winston Cup victory with Wrangler as a sponsor. It was also his first win driving for Bud Moore.
- Entering the race, Earnhardt had a career best finish of sixth over six races at the track.
- The race opened the flood gates for Earnhardt at the track, as he went on to win eight more races there. He later won six times over a 10 race span.
- Earnhardt’s victory turned out to be one of Ford’s two victories during the 30 race Winston Cup season. He went on to win two more races in his career driving a Ford.
- The race marked the final time the Spring Darlington race was called the “Rebel 500”. The tradition started when the track earned a second date on the schedule in 1960.