June 10, 2018
Seth and Sutton Sharp
On this date in 1984, the Van Scoy Diamond Mine 500 was held at Pocono. It was the 14th race on the 30 race Winston Cup schedule.
- The No. 12 Budweiser Chevrolet of Neil Bonnett sat on the pole for the race, but was qualified by David Pearson because Bonnett was dealing with a broken wrist. Bonnett had Benny Parsons on stand-by the previous week at Riverside, but Parsons was scheduled to race in Pocono, so the team called up Pearson. Once the green flag waved on race-day, Bonnett gave way to Pearson during the race’s first caution. The No. 12 car finished 14th.
- All 39 cars who attempted the race made the field.
- Geoff Bodine, who had won at Martinsville earlier in the season, received good news as Northwestern Security Life announced they were coming on full-time as All-Star Racing’s primary sponsor. Bodine finished 36th.
- The race was won by Cale Yarborough. It was the 81st win of his Winston Cup career. Harry Gant, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott and Tim Richmond rounded out the top-five. Darrell Waltrip, who finished sixth, was the final car on the lead lap.
- Waltrip and Labonte left Pocono in a tie for first in the Winston Cup standings.