July 9, 2018
Sutton and Seth Sharp
Martin Truex Sr. entered the 1994 Auto Palace / Slick 50 150 needing a solid run. Truex had three DNF’s over the first ten races of the Busch North Series season, including a 38th at Watkins Glen the previous week. The 36 year old from Mayetta, NJ had made 42 career starts in the Busch North Series with only one top-five finish to that point.
He had a strong qualifying run, placing his Blount Seafood Oldsmobile on the outside of the front row. He would lead early and often, leading 82 of the 150 laps en route to his first and only career victory. The win was the jolt he needed, as he ended the season with seven top-10s over the final 10 races. Truex would finish a career best 7th in the final standings.
– The race was marred by 11 cautions, making up 52 of the 150 scheduled laps.
– Dale Shaw qualified 41st after taking a provisional. He would rebound to finish 7th, en route to eventually winning the season championship.
– 61 year old Stub Fadden finished third, while his grandson Mike Olsen came home in 27th.
– Jimmy Spencer, fresh off his first Cup victory a week prior at Daytona, finished 20th in a No. 64 for Dennis Shoemaker.
– Mike Wallace finished 36th after a multi car accident. Wallace was also coming off a victory, having won the Busch Series race the previous weekend in Milwaukee.
– Ken Schrader, pulling double duty, finished 9th after leading six laps. He finished 24th the following day in the Cup Series event.